In the beginning

The Beginning

In the beginning, in the Garden of Eden, God created lots of food to nourish the bodies of Adam and Eve, food for them enjoy, after the fall, food continues to be an important of being human. This is what makes dining and eating a pleasure.

This blog captures recipes that have been tried in our families, which we aim to compile into our family traditions and favorite keepsake.

We also captures some dining moments and travelling experiences, surrounding around food as the main topic. Who knows those dining moments would inspire new recipes!

Midnight Chef

The name "Midnight Chef" is one that I called myself recently, after I made a decision to prepare home-cooked hot breakfast and packed lunch for Bel and myself since the start of her secondary school life in 2018. It also coincides with my planning to stay healthy with more protein and salads as my breakfast and packed lunch. 

With my work schedule, some evening exercises, some evening shopping and also busy weekends, I have found a good and peaceful time to prepare the food and sometimes bake them is late evening, after most family has gone to bed. I like to cook without people commenting or asking me questions. I like to think and cook quietly with some YouTube music going on. It usually takes about 1 hour to complete the marinating and putting them away or bake something, sometimes if I am a bit too ambitious like roasting 40 burgers, I would end up cooking for 2-2 1/2 hours. 

I found joy in cooking alone late at night, knowing that tomorrow morning, my breakfast be fresh and hot and flavorful. I even found joy in cutting up onions and smelling my fingers after I finished cooking and washing, it is like my pride trophy, that I have cooked something nice with my hands.

The Recipes Journal 

This journal blogging came about after I find my other blogs cluttered with recipes, travels,family photos, stories and when I need the recipes, I could not find them easily. So, I have been wanting to start a blog just for recipes especially, tried-recipes which means modified recipes by me and my families. 

I come from a family who love food and enjoy cooking. My dad is a great cook, story has it that when mum married to him, she was not a good cook, so even though dad looks like a male-chauvinistic fella, he is a family man who love his family by working hard and cooking too. Mum picked up cooking fast, she also became a great chef. 

In August 2018, we decided to let our maid go who has worked for us for 15 years with 1 1/2 years that she went back to her Indonesia home. I decided that we would have a maid-detox season for minimum 3 to 6 months or as long as we can tolerate and stand it. By simple calculations, by 2019, we will be just cooking for 3 with 3 boys away from home. By then, cooking should be second-nature, I hope so! 

I love to travel and enjoy local foods, I would give them a try to see if they are palatable to my taste buds and I always look for ways to repeat those good recipes for my families to try. 

Comments

Popular Posts